Thursday, May 31, 2007

rant

This whole post is like my mind threw up on the page and none of it landed in any organized way and most thoughts are not completed.


Star Valley, or maybe all small towns, have such a strange culture. Well maybe I can't make that generalization about the whole culture, but the culture that surrounds manual labor jobs. There is this certain personality that is commonly found in these types of jobs.


First off, they act, or perhaps believe, that everything is a matter of common sense, and they were blessed with more common sense than anyone else. They are very quick to criticize the actions of others, most times because someone did something differently than the way they would have done it, and in their mind their way is the best and what other people did makes no sense to them, so by default they must be unskilled, stupid, etc. They don't even attempt to understand what sort of logic another person may have followed to bring them to that action. It just works like this:

if "their way" ≠ "my way"
then "their way" = faulty


Life has way too much variety for this logic to be worth anything. If anything is faulty, it is this logic.

They know nothing because they (think) they know everything.


Second, to these people anyone from Utah or California is automatically unintelligent.
look up on wikipedia:
bandwagon effect - is the observation that people often do (or believe) things because many other people do (or believe) the same.
group attribution error - Group members are more likely to attribute a fellow group member's actions to their arbitrary circumstances, while attributing a non-group member's actions to something in that group's inherent disposition.

Suddenly I just got really sick of writing this. I almost deleted it and then decided to just post what I have.

I find myself getting really annoyed at people who criticize other people because they are different than they are. Let people be dress how they want to dress. Let people do what they want to do. Let people be what they want to be. If it's different from you this doesn't make anyone else weird or gay or whatever ridiculous insults you can come up with. If someone is different from you just realize you have different tastes, and there's nothing wrong with that. So let them go their way and you go yours and then shut up.

Now I'm just rambling.

5 comments:

Version #2 said...

I was just thinking about this today while I drove. I was thinking about how I grew up hearing alot of people complain about "those Californians" and how people from back home are guilty of the exact thing they're criticizing over...stereotyping, bigotry, and prejudice. I was thinking how weird and inaccurate that stuff was that I heard as a kid.

Version #2 said...

P.S.
Gordon bustin your chops huh!?

Version #2 said...

Come on ol' Gordo...relax and just live in the house you have built across the street.

dallin said...

gordon's not that bad. actually, it's gordo's son that inspired most of this. that, and country music, and the other characters that i run into, like the concrete guy and the sod guy. i don't know their names.

mrs. everything said...

you won't be there too much longer...