I wonder if people's perceptions of God are impacted by their parent's parenting style. It would make sense to me. If you had parents who were strict disciplinarians it seems like you would tend to view God in that way. But if your parents were more of the type that is not as strict and more supportive and open then you probably tend to view God in that way. I'm sure there are exceptions but I bet this is true for a lot of people.
"Our heavenly Father is more liberal in His views, and boundless in
His mercies and blessings, than we are ready to believe or receive. .
. . God does not look on sin with [the least degree of] allowance, but
. . . the nearer we get to our heavenly Father, the more we are
disposed to look with compassion on perishing souls; we feel that we
want to take them upon our shoulders, and cast their sins behind our
backs." - Jeffrey R. Holland quoting Joseph Smith
I started thinking about this because someone hung up a sign in the bathroom stall that has a list of things that you feel when you have the spirit and a list of things that you feel when you don't have the spirit. The last one on the having the spirit side said, "you realize that your thoughts and your actions are open to God." I would disagree with this one. At least for me. I have always felt that my thoughts and actions were open to God, but at the same time, I would much rather God see my thoughts than anyone else, even if it's a string of f-words, the reason being that he would have a much better understanding of the circumstances and context of whatever I'm thinking. But then I started wondering if other people don't have that same view. Especially at BYU I've noticed people who seem to think of God as a very critical, strict disciplinarian. I feel like that view makes God very distant, unapproachable, and pretentious.
Thursday, March 8, 2007
God
Posted by
dallin
at
10:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
hey, i agree with this. i think people's views of organized religion and authority in particular are often based on their parents parenting style.
This is insightful. I also believe it is true.
really interesting dallin...thought provoking! The longer I'm away from home the more I see how my parent's parenting style and view of the gospel has shaped my beleif as well as my perception of God. However, my parents never told us as children that God was this way or that...thankfully. I feel like they left him open to interpretation for what aspects of his divinity us children wanted to focus on. Like me for example, my testimony is more focused on the teachings of compassion and love not necessarily the vengeful God that is portrayed sometimes. Anyway, good points... I like reading what you think about.
what up schwing?! i second version #2's comment! insightful!
Jeffrey R Holland's 2003 conference talk "The Grandeur of God"
I have used it the last two times I was asked to speak in sacrament meetings (it was in different wards)
This talk and Dallin H. Oaks 2000 conference talk "The Challenge to Become" are my two favorite talks ever.
Post a Comment